Monday, October 18, 2010

Hate the judgement, Love the judge

It's interesting to me that when people say they are offended by homosexuality or the "gay lifestyle" that I'm supposed to just accept that as their opinion. We just need to agree to disagree, right? Love the sinner, hate the sin. And on and on and oppressively on.

You know that person you love so much? The one who your heart soars when you see them and you miss them on a molecular level when you are apart? Yeah, that one. Well, I think a part of them is filthy, against nature and offends God. You don't feel that way about that part of them? You're asking me who does it hurt? You want me to consider that when I set the person you love apart, I am hurting you too? Too bad. I'm going to vote to withhold a civil right that I enjoy from them based on that thing. Why? Because my religion tells me too. Or my gut. Or biology. Or the lamp in my living room that talks to me.

What if it's not the person you love but you. Yes, you. You offend me. No offense.

Oh, and you offend my higher power too. You are so repugnant to me that I'm forced to contact my representatives in government about curtailing your civil rights.

I hope that you'll still come to my birthday party and bring me a big present because I still like you. It's just that essential part of you that makes me want hurl.

Can't you feel that I love you while I file this petition to make sure I don't have to deal with seeing that part of you I hate? Do you see the divine in me as I shout at you about how you are not a part of God's plan?

Time and again I see people dismiss love. Love is easy, it's sunshine and roses. I don't find that to be true at all. My belief system tells me I have to love the judge and that is not easy to do at all. Not when the judgement is against my child, my very heart. It's not easy at all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I bookmarked you. We are kindred spirits in this matter for sure.
This ignorance won't be acceptable soon and future generations will look down on these actions the same as we look down on the racism. And oh the shame on them for doing this in God's name. Wouldn't want to answer for that one on judgement day. Good luck to them. We are on the right side of history sister!

Fresh Hell, Texas said...

Thank you, sister! I absolutely agree about how history will judge this issue. It's already happening via the courts. Thankfully!

wifey said...

1st time here and LOVE to hear your point of view and passion. I couldn't agree more and am so thrilled that your son has been able to be himself all along with the people who mean the most to him. You ROCK!

The Dark Knight said...

I just stumbled upon your blog. Your son is so very lucky, possibly more than he can ever realize! My partner and I hid our relationship from her family for almost 10 years. They found out a little over a year ago and have attempted daily to make our lives Hell, not a day goes by that their venom of hate is not a part. GOD bless you ma'am for loving your son and thank you for sharing a little bit of your story! Tell him to hug your neck from us!!