Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Asking, Telling, Waiting

Today a two-day hearing begins on the repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell." I wish I could say I feel confident that it will be repealed because that is how it should be. Not only public opinion, but opinion within the military shows a majority favor the repeal yet I fear we are going to be held hostage, yet again, to the far right.

As a military spouse of 22 years and the mother of a son who is gay, I feel especially tied up in this issue. It's absolutely heart wrenching to know that there are thousands of spouses out there who cannot be public about their relationship with a service member. It's hard enough with a support system. To have to do it alone? I cannot imagine. To know that it is the policy of this country that my son is not fit to serve if he chose to? Infuriating, to put it mildly.

I try to remember what my son tells me when I start getting worked up, "Mom, It's just a matter of time. The old men who are controlling this issue are going to die and the next generation will make it right."

Maybe the right thing will happen today, maybe DADT will be repealed tomorrow. I'll watch and wait with guarded hope.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope that you are celebrating today!

Fresh Hell, Texas said...

I am! We are all celebrating! Thank you for stopping by.